Thursday 27 October 2011

And so it begins...

As I come to the end of my second year at Raffles I start on what will no doubt be my largest and most ambitious project to date. I hope that it will also be my most visually stunning and the crown of my portfolio. My Major Project.

The intention of this blog is so that you can follow along with my progress and see all of the steps taken to produce my final work. In the end some of the information I gather here may be a great resource for showing my process, technicals skills and all of the work that goes into a project of this size but can't possibly be displayed along side the final work. This blog is a behind the scenes look into how the project that defines my time at uni came to be.

And so without further ado...

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a solid idea that can be implemented and achieved if you are ready to put in the hours ... many, many hours. However because the premise is clear, I believe that the hours will fly by as you move forward in the project.
    A large part of the project will be technical but be wary that it does not over shadow the design phase which 'ideally' should take a good 50 to 75% of the project; the most difficult part of any design problem is balancing what is assumed with what is necessary.
    In the early stages it may seem that the technical research is the major hurdle but in my opinion I think you will have to get your head around some of the following concepts, armour or protection garments, old and new armour materials (apparently Australia is a leader in military body armour), jet propulsion and jet packs, soldier or war psychology. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There is no point me learning how to make an awesome looking model only to have it all fall apart because the design is boring. I have a few avenues to explore as i do this initial design phase but I definitely agree that some of the main ones, are the function of protective garments in the real world an how that affects their design and in turn my design.

    Now that I have enough of an understanding of the method that I will eventually use to sculpt the hard surfaces there is no need for me to explore it further until the concept is complete. I wanted to make sure I was attempting something I could achieve, and now I am sure I can focus on my design first.

    ReplyDelete